#SaolWalk Walk for Life #PadraigsWalk
Brewster (MA), Wednesday, June 27th, 2018, 09:00am – 10:00am
Five years after doctors asked his parents whether they really wanted an ‘intolerable life’ for their son Pádraig (now 27) he returns with his parents and closest friend to Cape Cod to ‘walk’, in his wheelchair, the last mile to Route 6A in Brewster where that catastrophic accident changed his life.
Prior to walking the last mile from the Brewster Police Department on 631 Harwich Road to the spot of the accident near 2019 Main Street, Brewster, they hope to meet Attorney General Maura Healy in Boston to receive an update on the investigation into the serious issues they raised in relation to the accident investigation.
With their Walk for Life, they want to:
- Remind drivers to ‘share the road’ and drive responsibly;
- Call for thorough, un-biased accident investigations, especially those involving cyclists;
- Highlight the enormous emotional and financial burden on families of victims;
- Repeat their call for a programme of driver education on the Cape and an initiative to make adequate insurance cover for drivers obligatory.
The financial cost of this accident to Pádraig has been estimated by independent experts to be around $12 million – nowhere near the value of the drivers insurance policy, even if it that had been fully paid.
- Join Pádraig, his parents, and one of his closest friends at 09:00 on 27 June 2018 for their Walk for Life from the Brewster Police Department to 2019 Main Street, Brewster. — Let them know you’ll be joining them here: http://bit.ly/Walkforlife
- Support their call for better road safety driver education and un-biased accident investigation by writing to the Attorney General and the Governor of Massachusetts.
- Help Pádraig’s family and friends to cover his life-long specialised neurological rehabilitation programme by kindly making a donation via this website (see details below) or https://www.gofundme.com/PadraigsWalkforLife
If you want to make contact with Pádraig and his family email CaringForPadraig@gmail.com or call +353-87-6736414
Download and share this flyer for more background and details about Pádraig’s Walk for Life.
If you want to find out more about the An Saol Foundation – Life and Living with a severe Acquired Brain Injury established in Ireland following Pádraig’s accident, check out the Foundation’s website or contact email@example.com. The An Saol Foundation is about to embark on a three-year pilot project funded by Ireland’s Health Service Executive (HSE) offering day centre services for survivors of severe Acquired Brain Injury. The initiative was announced in 2017 by the Irish Minister for Health, Simon Harris, T.D.